Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Power of a Positive Attitude

...(wow- I haven't written in several months.  My bad).

Ever had one of those days where you wake up, literally look in the mirror at yourself and say, "Today is gonna be good"?  Well, I did that today.  And it worked.  I know it sounds stupid, but hear me out on this.

Last week was a bit rough for me.  I had a few situations come up in both my work and personal life and for some reason, I couldn't shake it.  I kept thinking about it.  Thinking about all the negative possibilities.  And it seemed like things kept getting worse.  My negative attitude had taken over and suddenly, everything was heading south. 

So Saturday, I decided to drop all the negative thoughts and feelings I had, and just completely pretend like everything was perfect.  Surprisingly, my day went really well.  Then today (Sunday), I woke up early,  kissed my son as he was sleeping, made some coffee and decided today was going to be a good day.  Better than yesterday.  I even told myself in the mirror as I was blow drying my hair.  Yes, I sometimes talk to myself.  Don't judge me.

Today was an awesome day.  From saying good morning to everyone I saw at the grocery store, to breakfast with a good friend and her crazy kids, to dinner at a close friend's house as we sat in the front yard sweating to death in the lovely Texas summer heat laughing about memories and stories...today was good.  And I'm pretty sure it was because I chose it to be. 

For those of you that have read the book The Secret, I'm a true believer in the Law of Attraction.  I don't necessarily follow it all the time, but I should.  For those of you who haven't read the book (1) - You should read it and (2) - The Law of Attraction states: "like attracts like", that positive and negative thinking bring about positive and negative physical results, respectively.  Makes a lot of sense right? Positive thoughts attract positive outcome. Negative thoughts attract negative outcome. 

Finally, the old cliche is right - You are the company that you keep.   Most people tend to act like the people they surround themselves with.  I have weeded a lot of people out of my life over the years.  Some very abruptly and unexpectedly.  Some had been friends of mine for over 15-20 years.  But it all boiled down to one thing - are they a positive influence in my life?  Does this person contribute to a progressive move or a regressive movement in my life?   As my friend Stacy once told me, "If you can't think of one thing that a person contributes to your life, why are they your "friend?" Think about that.  It took me a while at first, but it makes sense.  I was truly blessed within the last year.  An awesome person with the most positive attitude I have ever met was brought into my life.  And even though I don't get to see his smile everyday, I can hear it over the phone.  His smile is contagious and it makes me smile and it turns my day around instantly.  So surround yourself with positive people.  Their energy and positivity will influence your attitude daily.  And every day you spend in a negative or bad mood, is a day wasted that you don't get back.   


Tomorrow may be Monday, and according to 85% of the FaceBook statuses I read, it is legendary on sucking big time.  But YOU can make tomorrow a good day.  And all the days after...

1 comment:

  1. I hope I am someone that contributes something...I always thought my presence was a blessing to everyone;) Glad to see you blogging!

    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete