Sunday, July 24, 2011

RAK...do it

RAK - Random Act of Kindness

Last night I was in Deep Ellum with a friend going to a concert.  We stopped at a 7-11 on the corner of Main Street.  As we walked into the store, there was a man sitting outside of the store.  He was so dirty I could barely see the features of his face.  His clothes were old and torn, he smelt like a dumpster and you could see the bones in his arms.  It bothered me...a lot.  He didn't ask for anything as we walked by.  He didn't have a sign asking for money, but he looked empty.  There was just an empty gaze on his face. 

So instead of getting my Red Bull, I got him a delicious piece of 7-11 pizza and the largest bottle of water they had.  I don't have a lot of money or I would have totally done more.  My child has literally drained my bank account.  I have considered selling him on eBay several times, but he is way too cute and he likes my cooking. Anyway, I came out of the store, walked up to the man and said the first thing that came into my head "Hey dude...here you go" (yea I know, I have a way with words).  He took both from me but didn't make eye contact.  I think he said thank you, but I couldn't tell.  As I walked off, we looked back and saw him inhaling the pizza.  That made my day.  It really made my day.  Knowing that he had food in his stomach and cold water to drink as he sits outside in the 101 degree weather all night made me feel good. 


I read on a friend's FaceBook post a week ago that she told a lady she was beautiful and the lady started crying.  Wow.  Imagine impacting someone that much by a simple statement.   That's awesome!

When was the last time you did a random act of kindness?  When was the last time you did something for someone else that seemed minor to you, but made an impact on them and showed them that you care?  Try doing a random act of kindness this week. *I have some laundry that needs to be folded if any of you reading this want to be kind to me :)

~Trigz

No comments:

Post a Comment