Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Reasons

Whenever something bad happens, we all search for reasons.  Reasons why it didn't work out the way we wanted it to, what we may have done wrong, what we could have done right.  I think I have said a thousand times, "If I could just go back in time, I would have..."

But what if we have to go through these things in order to grow?  What if all of these situations that seem to "only happen to us" happen to everyone at some point in their lives?  Think about it for a second...How would you know what happiness is if you've never experienced sadness? How would you know what pleasure is without knowing pain, closeness without loneliness, and true love without ever knowing the pain of a broken heart?

I've met a vet that served our country for 25 years who is now homeless on the streets of Dallas, I've been dumped by a guy who I was head over heels in love with via text message, I've seen an 8 year old child die of liver cancer suddenly, and I once had a friend who did something so unthinkable to me, that it almost ruined my life. Why did these things happen to me...to these people?  Is it karma?  Did I/they break a chain letter?  Nope.  It's just called life.  

One of my favorite pastors, Stephen Furtick once said, "Self-pity will pervert your perspective and paralyze your potential faster than almost any other emotion."  If you don't understand that, read it again until you do.  It makes perfect sense. You can sit around and wonder why this situation happened to you and put up walls or you can realize that this has happened to multiple people and its just a part of life.  Life is full of emotions.  If we didn't feel more than one, we wouldn't be living.  We'd just be surviving. 
Sometimes life is bittersweet. "We must hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, and lose in order to gain. Because some lessons in life, are best learned through pain."  So instead of asking why or searching for a reason, just know that this situation, this feeling, this event, is just a part of life...a part of growing...a part of living. You are who you are because of what you've experienced and how you've handled it.  And each situation, no matter if its painful or amazing, will prepare you for the next chapter in your life. 

2 comments:

  1. Well said Tracy. I've struggled with this in the past, along with a number of other things. You're absolutely right. You just have to keep on pushing, learning, and learn not to give up on yourself or other people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are wise beyond your years.

    Also those experiences are what make you "you". If you were to go back and avoid those situations or change how they turned out you would not be the unique individual you are now.

    ReplyDelete